On completion of this section the cytotechnologist should know:
- To understand the pathobiology of the human papillomaviruses and their morphology, genomic organisation and function.
- To understand the natural history of infection and histological appearances of infection
- To understand the role of the HPV in cervical carcinogenesis
- To know the methods available for detecting HPV infection and their place in clinical practice
- To understand the role of DNA testing for HPV in a clinical setting
- To be aware of the immune response to HPV and its importance in the development of vaccines
- To be aware of clinical trials of HPV vaccines and the place of a new vaccine in clinical practice