Normal cell content of cervical smears, contaminants and artifacts. Adequacy and unsatisfactory smears.
On completion of this section the cytotechnologist should know:
- to be aware of the components of a normal cervical smear
- to be able to recognise epithelial cells derived from the ectocervix, endocervix and endometrium
- to be able to recognise vaginal flora, and common contaminants in cervical smears
- to be familiar with basic smear patterns eg. in puberty pregnancy and menopausal state
- to be able to evaluate the adequacy of a smear and to be able to identify unsatisfactory smears.